Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cinnamon sugar cupcakes two ways

I've got to say... I LOVE cinnamon. Seriously, I can't have enough of it. These cupcakes are an amazing way to use cinnamon, and I am bringing them to you today with a choice of two different types of topper-- because some people like their cupcakes with a ton of sweetness, others only like a little.

I also bring you, my little helper!



This is my fiance's 3-year-old son waiting patiently for us to start making cupcakes. He is a very appropriate helper because these cupcakes are easy enough for kids to make. (With supervision, of course!)

Seriously, these are so easy and so tasty, you will never go back to cake mix again.

Anyway! As with any cupcake recipe, you start the same way: preheat your oven (to 350 today), prep your cupcake pan with liners...



(... my helper is a bit random in his placing of the liners... but hey, as long as they all get in there!)

... And gather your ingredients.

For these cupcakes you will need:

2 cups flour

1 tsp baking soda

3 tsp cinnamon

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup butter, softened

2 eggs

1 cup applesauce



This is a one-bowl recipe. (I TOLD you it was easy!) So, in a big bowl, whisk together the flour...



..baking soda, cinnamon...



and sugars.



Whisk together well.



Add the wet ingredients-- applesauce, butter and eggs.



Beat well. It's easiest to use electric beaters for this.

This batter is quite thick, and smells amazing... apple-y and cinnamon-y. It's quite different in texture from the lemon cupcake batter-- you'll see. It's another delicious batter to snack on... but it's not appropriate for children. Raw eggs and kids just don't mix.

When well beaten, transfer to your cupcake liners.







Bake for about 15 minutes or so, then use the toothpick test to make sure they're done.



Now... on to the two types of topper. The first we will work on is a cinnamon glaze.

You'll need...

1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
Heavy cream



Combine the sugar and cinnamon and whisk together.



Add the vanilla, then slowly add the cream one tablespoon at a time, stirring in between. It will not take much at all, probably about 3 tablespoons, but it depends on how exact your sugar and cinnamon measurements. When it's done, it should be thin enough to spread, but be careful not to get it too thin or it will all just slide off your cupcake. (Don't ask me how I know this, lol...)

It should look like this:



My little helper has a little baker's set that has an adorable little frosting gun. I filled that sucker up with glaze and he went to town:





For those of us a little bit more obsessive-compulsive about frosting (who, me?), a small round tip like this is good:



I chose a cross-hatch pattern but anything is pretty in this lovely glaze.



My helper says it's yummy too :)



On to the other topper, a cinnamon buttercream. Mmmmm...

1/2 cup butter, softened

3 cups powdered sugar

3 tbsp milk

1 tbsp maple syrup

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

Butter goes first into the bowl, then add one cup of powdered sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the next cup, beat again, then add the final cup.



Beat until smooth.

Add the milk, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla, and beat for several minutes until frosting becomes stiff.

I prefer a star tip when frosting with buttercream. It's just so pretty!



And... yeah... pretty good, my helper says.



Now, an important part-- the cleanup... and I was particularly glad to have a helper for this part!



Now for our reward... yum yum!



You have now made cupcakes from scratch... doesn't it feel good? (More importantly... doesn't it TASTE good??) I hope I have convinced you how easy it can be to make something fantastic... if not, stay tuned for next week, when I will bring you a... seasonally appropriate treat-- no tricks required :)

No comments:

Post a Comment