Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Showtime, revisited



I've been spending a lot of time looking back over the goals I had posted originally (here), and looking at what's available to me this summer, and trying to sort out my plan. Adding miss Moira to my family changed my goals a bit, in that hitting up the Arab shows isn't going to be my priority anymore. Instead, I would like to focus on just getting out there and getting some miles on Gia. Here's what I'm looking at now...

The 29th is the Willoughby Saddle Club show. This is what Jessy and I are taking both the ladies to. I don't even necessarily plan to enter, I am going to see how the Supermodel behaves and take it from there. Ideally I will enter the walk-trots but I'm not super concerned about it.

The following weekend - June 5th - there is a hunter show at Sunnyside Saddle Club. Sunnyside is up the block from us, so within riding distance. The way I see it, these shows are totally worth going to since we don't have to pay for a trailer, making them very cost-effective. I am definitely aiming for the June show, but barring previous commitments, can see myself going to all of them. I'd like to start in the walk-trots and watch how we advance over the course of the year. Hopefully miss Jessy and the Superpony can come too, they are further ahead of us. Perhaps they'll be showing in the over-fences classes by the end of the summer.

June 18-19 is the BC Sporthorse and Sportpony show. This is a bigger show, like I mentioned, and I want to keep costs (and stress) down by just doing in-hand classes on the Saturday.

They also have another show Sept. 23-25, which I'd like to do in-hand again. That would meet my goal of 2 bigger shows.

Beyond that... Willoughby has more shows over the summer, Sunnyside has dressage shows aside from the hunter shows, and if I venture further afield there is even more to be found. I don't think I'll need to, though. I think hitting up the small shows close to me, maximizing Gia's exposure while minimizing cost, is going to give me the greatest satisfaction at the end of the season.

Happy happy me! The thought of showing again is so exciting. Although, I kind of hope BC decides to give us a summer sometime soon... if this inconsistent weather keeps up, it's going to be kind of frustrating. I don't like the idea of hacking to a show in the pouring rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment