Thursday, April 14, 2011

I love my horse, but...

... what a pea-brain!!

The SuperPony has been here just over a week now and the Supermodel is already ridiculously, stupidly, insanely obsessed with her. To the point that she flips out and works herself into a lather if you take the SuperPony out of her stall to groom her. Never mind that the grooming area is RIGHT NEXT to Gia's stall... if she can't see Moira, the world is obviously going to end.

Yesterday, Jessy (the girl who is going to be riding Moira for me) and I were riding together. Gia has never been ridden with another horse in the arena. It was apparently too much for her fragile little mind. It reminds you that these enormous 1,000 lb animals are ruled by brains the size of walnuts.

She jigged and whinnied and generally made an a** of herself for about half an hour until I finally got her to focus and work, while Jessy was working Moira. We got a good 20 minutes of real work in, and then I made her stand and watch while Jessy and Moira did their own thing. She stood well as long as she could see her "girlfriend", so after about 10 minutes I called it a victory and took her back inside. Where she promptly freaked out because Moira was still outside.

I hate herd-bound horses. This is going to be a challenge. I hope... I pray, lol... that as Gia realizes that Moira isn't going anywhere, this will get better. But I have a sneaking suspicion that it won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment