Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mambo No. 5

Soooo.... I promised on Facebook that I'd post about this ages ago. Aaannnddd... yeah, well, I have no excuse for the delay. But here it is, finally!

Well, I mean-- here SHE is!



This is Moira. AKA Mambo No. 5. AKA the SuperPony. And she is the cutest thing EVER... just about as cute as the Supermodel is gorgeous.



(Okay yes, she looks like a cross between a wooly mammoth and wild mustang here, but I promise she's super cute.)

I met miss Moira last fall, I was riding for a big-name horse trainer who had literally about 30 horses, many of whom were worth six figures. Moira was not. Moira was worth about 0 figures. Moira was just a baby-making machine, until I met her. I fell in love, being the sucker that I am for Arabian horses. I started working with her and we got along like a house on fire, until the big-name trainer lost the lease on the farm she was renting and suddenly had to find a new home for 30+ fancy horses. The less-fancy horses began to disappear, and Moira was one of them.

I was upset... this particular horse trainer was very nice in person but I knew she had a bit of a sketchy past. I was honestly concerned that she'd dumped poor Moira at the auction or sent her to slaughter for the few bucks she'd get. For a year, I kept my eyes open for her but I didn't figure I'd ever see her again. And then, one day I opened post on a horse-for-sale site that I normally would never have looked at, and there she was.

I emailed her owner obsessively (seriously, I probably annoyed the crap out of this poor lady) until she called me. I told her I would take Moira no questions asked, and told her the story. The new owner had indeed gotten her from big-name trainer and luckily had treated her very well in the meantime... except that once again, she had been left in a field to just kind of hang out. (WHY do people get horses they aren't going to do anything with??)

Moira was delivered to my place the following week, and these pics are from that day. Needless to say, she's since been cleaned up and had her horsey makeover. And I have found a teenage girl who is going to come out here to ride her and adore her just like she deserves. I am beyond happy.

I love seeing these two faces when I walk into the barn in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment